Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Buying a new Cell Phone

It is Tuesday morning. Hmmmm.....what's on the agenda for today? Tim is working at home today so that means I have a lunch date. I have to procure some software for my Illustrator class that starts tomorrow....which requires a trip to electronic hell (EH). That is my new name for the computer store/mega shopping building. Ah...which reminds me that I wanted to buy a new cell phone.

I am simple cell phone person. I just want to call, answer, text and it has to look "cool". I don't really care about storing music, playing games, using it as a GPS (although that might be helpful the next time Mr Zheng gets lost in Puxi), or watch movies or TV on that tiny screen. I would enjoy the email feature...if that is possible. If we were in the US I would buy an IPhone and call it a day. The kids could be my "help line" and eventually I would learn to use 10% of it's features and feel good about that accomplishment. The IPhone in China has mixed reviews....some people buy them in the US and have them "broken" or "cracked" at electronic hell so they work here. Some people have had success with that and some not so much.

Last weekend we went to Best Buy to buy a new phone. We went there to avoid EH and so the options would be a little less and there would be someone that might speak English. Well....the options were enormous, most of them were "locked" ie...you could not actually see or use the features of the phone. After a very slow, language challenged search I did not find a single phone that I wanted...Really......I AM NOT THAT PICKY. I finally narrowed it down to one that was a possibility and guess what??? They said those dreaded words...Mei You...which means...they don't have it. WHAT? Why do they have it on display if they don't have it?????? Okay...so I take some responsibility for the "cool" factor. They had this phone displayed in three different colors....brushed stainless grey, pink, and another shade of pink. Sorry...but pink does not meet my "cool" requirement. No grey...no deal! So...after all that....I left without a new phone and decided to use the one I have for a while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment